Educating the public about the importance of organ and tissue donation has always been an important priority to CDT. Volunteers play a vital role in this effort. Our volunteer program is composed of recipients and their families, donor family members, those currently waiting for a transplant and others with a strong interest in organ and tissue donation.
There are a number of ways you can help spread the word on the importance of donation. Listed below are some of our volunteer activities and events.
- Community Presentations/Public Speaking – Volunteers present an overview of donation or share their personal story with students, workplaces, civic groups, churches and other organizations. Training on public speaking will be provided. This activity may be done alone or with a CDT coordinator.
- Group Events/Activities – CDT sponsors a number of events during the year to educate the community and support our donor families. Volunteers are needed to help at events such as the KLayoy5K Run, the annual Celebration of Life picnic and the Adirondack Spintacular.
- Community Contact – Our volunteers act as a liaison between CDT and our communities. Volunteers contribute ideas on new ways to reach the public and contact organizations on CDT’s behalf to offer presentations and other activities designed to raise awareness.
- Display Staff – Volunteers staff a display table at health fairs, wellness days and other related events to promote awareness of donation. This may include answering individual questions and talking one-on-one about donation.
- Media Activity – On occasion we ask interested volunteers to speak with the media and share their perspective on donation and transplantation.
- Administrative Support – We always need volunteers to help with office tasks such as preparing mass mailings, assisting with brochure distribution programs and other assistance as needed.
Training is provided for all new volunteers to ensure they are prepared and comfortable with their knowledge of donation. Ongoing contact with CDT is provided through newsletters, e-mails and volunteer meetings. Not only is our volunteer program an effective way to educate people, it allows us to significantly increase the number of people we can reach. If you are interested in joining the CDT volunteer program please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .